About us

Structural-Inspections.com specialises in supplying structural engineering solutions for the domestic and smaller property development market. We have experienced and Chartered Civil and Structural engineers that provide our customers with a knowledgeable and personal service.

Structural-Inspections.com is a wholly owned subsidiary of the consulting engineers Graham Jones Associates Ltd (GJA Ltd). For further information on GJA Ltd please visit: www.gj-associates.co.uk

Help and Information For Your Project

Frequently, before undertaking any building work to domestic or small commercial property, clients can be unsure what Planning Permissions, Building Regulations and similar approvals are required. For instance, Planning and Building Regulation matters are both different and separate and it is important to understand these necessary requirements:

Planning Permission

Planning permission controls the way our towns, cities and countryside develop.

The government gives Planning teams the power to manage where people build and what they do with land. Without such regulation residents and/or the environment could be adversely  affected.

Planning Permission is required for most types of new development or changes of use. Local Authority Planning Development Management teams handle Planning Permission applications and consider the effect a property’s use or new appearance will have on neighbouring properties and the general environment.

Do I need Planning Permission?

Try these useful interactive tools, from the Government’s Planning Portal, which highlight when you need to apply for planning permission Interactive House guide for home improvements. Or aPermitted Development Interactive guide for rules as to when you can extend your home without planning permission. Also you may want to see the Interactive Roof/Loft Conversion guide.

Or see the listed requirements of exemptions from Planning for a house extension here.

Building Regulations Approval

Building Regulations are standards that apply to all buildings to make sure they are safe for people who are in or around them. The regulations cover the technical aspects of construction work and cover matters such as structural integrity, fire safety, disabled access, energy conservation, insulation, drainage and ventilation.

Do I need Building Regulations Approval?

Further information on when exactly you would need Building Regulations Approval by following this link to the Planning Portal web site.

Party Wall Act 1996

Another important responsibility you may have when developing your property is to comply with the Party Wall Act. This is required when you to undertake any work on a boundary you share with a neighbor. For questions and answers on your responsibilities take a look at the Government’s Explanatory Booklet

For further useful information see our links page

We can also help with Planning or Building Regs drawings contact us for further help.

Visit our new BLOG for more help and advice and our latest news, click here to read.